The majority of our daily substitute needs are for substitute teachers. Anyone interested in substitute teaching must meet the requirements listed below and complete the application process. In the event of an aide or clerical need, substitutes on our approved teacher substitute list may fill that vacancy if they choose.
All interested candidates must complete an online application in Alio
. Once you have finished your application and have attached the required documents, you may submit your application to the substitute teacher position for consideration. Each application must be completed thoroughly to be considered.
- High School degree/GED required and must be at least 21 years of age or have completed two years of college (48 credit hours); preference may be given to candidates with a college degree
- Candidates without prior teaching experience or an active license must complete the EDTrainingCenter Introductory Teacher Training (for Substitute Teachers), an equivalent certification of substitute training or have completed a college course in classroom management; preference will be given to those who can demonstrate prior successful work with children
- Teaching certificate or eligibility for teaching certificate preferred
- Ability to maintain order and discipline in a classroom; ability to respond to emergency situations in a calm manner
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and have the ability to establish effective working relationships with staff and students
- Must be able to operate computer technology as directed by the school and as required to follow lesson plans
- Must possess good moral character and must pass criminal background checks
- Complete online application in Alio. Be sure to complete all questions thoroughly and accurately. This includes all prior work history, three current/prior supervisor references, and employer questions. We will only consider complete application packages.
- Provide proof of education. Diplomas indicating your highest degree earned must be attached.*
- Provide three references using the Frederick County Substitute Reference Form. References must be provided by your most recent supervisors and reflect employment covering the last 5 years. If you have limited or no work experience, we may accept references from professors or volunteer supervisors.
- Provide proof of completion of a substitute training course. Retired teachers and licensed teachers who have worked in any of these capacities within the past five years are exempt from this requirement. If you have completed a course in classroom management or student taught within the past five years, you must attach your transcript* to be exempted from this requirement. A source for this training is the EDTrainingCenter (www.edtrainingcenter.com). If you need additional information, please contact Nicole Donelan.
- Once all information is complete and required documentation is attached, submit your application to the substitute teacher job posting. We will review all applications and contact those candidates who best meet our requirements to schedule their orientation.
Substitute orientations are held on an as needed basis. Once you have been scheduled for an orientation you should:
- Contact a local health department to complete a TB assessment if you do not have a current one (within the last 12 months)
- Complete the Online Child Abuse and Neglect Training. Print certificates of completion.
During orientation, you will receive additional information about our school system, important policies, and substituting in our school system. You will also complete:
Bring to orientation:
- Federal and state tax forms
- A Central Registry Form for each state in which you have resided for the past five years
- Background Check
- a voided check for direct deposit
- a $10 check made out to Frederick County Public Schools
- certificates of completion from your training
Once your background information is returned and your file is complete, you will be presented to the School Board for approval. You will then be contacted to complete an I-9 Form (proof of your eligibility to work in this U.S.), and will receive instructions on registering in SmartFind Express, our substitute system.
Submitting the application and forms required to be a substitute teacher does not guarantee employment. Hiring decisions will be made based on qualifications to include work history, educational background, references, and substitute needs within the school system.
*If you are unable to upload your documents, you must mail, fax, email or deliver your information with a cover letter to:
Frederick County Public Schools
Attn: Human Resources
1415 Amherst Street
Winchester, VA 22601